Agron-602 Principles of Agronomy 4(2-4)
Agronomy, definition and scope.
Tillage-its objectives and types.
Quality seed and its uses.
-Crop nutrients, manures and fertilizers, classification, composition, sources and methods of application, green manuring.
Irrigation management, irrigation methods, water-use efficiency.
Weeds, insect pests and diseases of major field crops.
Crop rotation principles and types.
Harvesting storage and marketing of farm produce.
Integration of factors of crop production for effective use of various agricultural inputs.
Demonstration and use of tillage implements, preparatory tillage,
seedbed preparation and intercultural operations,
Seed identification and purity analysis.
Identification of organic and inorganic fertilizers and manures.
Calculation of nutrient cum-fertilizer unit value.
Visits to university farms and grain stores.
1. Abdullah, M. 1990. Factors Limiting Crop Growth. Govt. of the Punjab, Directorate of Agricultural Information Punjab, Lahore.
2. Arnon, I. 1992. Agriculture in Dry Lands Principles and Practices. Elsevier, London.
3. Balasubramaniyan. 2004. Principles & Practices of Agronomy Pak Book Corp. Lahore.
4. Brady, N.C. and R.R. Weil. 2001. The Nature and Properties of Soils. Prentice Hall, New Delhi
5. De, G.C. 1995. Fundamentals of Agronomy. Oxford and IBH Pub. Co., New Delhi.
6. Havlin, J., S. Tisdale, W.L. Nelson and J.D. Beaton. 2004. Soil Fertility and Fertilizers: An Introduction to Nutrient Management. 7th Ed. Prentice Hall, New Delhi
7. Khan S.R.A. 2001. Crop Management in Pakistan with Focus on Soil and Water. Directorate of Agricultural information, Punjab, Lahore.
8. Khalil, I.A & A. Jan. 2002 Cropping Technology. National Book Foundation, Islamabad. 14
9. Michael, A.M. 1990. Irrigation: Theory and Practice. Vikas Pub. House, New Delhi.
10. Nazir, M.S. 1994. Crop Production. National Book Foundation, Islamabad.11. Pratley, J.E. 2003. Principal of Field Crop Production. Oxford University Press, Oxford
- Teacher: Dr. Asim Muhammad